If Patch Adams and Achim Koeddermann Designed a University
So after listening to Patch Adams and his design for a hospital, and hearing Achim's ideas about universities over the years, and seeing them on the same panel tomorrow, I began to think about what would come out if they teamed up to design a University. I thought I would take a guess at its components and see what they could add to it if they get the chance. Build it? Maybe. I can dream can't I?
- It will be service oriented. That will have two aspects. There will be less thinking about the bottom line. It will have enough funding and volunteers to do its job. Less time will be spent worrying about revenue streams and more time worrying about teaching and learning. The second service aspect will be that students will learn by serving their community.
- Teachers will actually spend time getting to know their students. If this involves a four hour house visit and some closet snooping, so be it.
- Differing opinions will not only be tolerated, they will be encouraged. Focus will be on how to have civilized discussions about things you disagree on.
- You are going overseas. None of this cultural education by a snippet of minority this and a smidge of minority that. You learn a foreign language and spend time in that culture. Learn about women in any other culture and you will have more respect for women in our culture or any other privileged minority in this country.
- You are not learning just college subjects. Good manners, social interaction, civility, nobility, compassion, humanity, insanity. (Barf-along! I love it!)
- Classrooms are everywhere and anywhere. The book you have to read might be the stranger you just met in the park. Your teacher might be a dog or a mouse or heart disease.
- Yes the faculty will do research, but it will be for social causes, not business ones. And the students will take part in all the research projects.
- Grades? We ain't got no stinkin' grades!
- Art, art, art! No commencement speaker. Graduates will recite poetry or perform music. Students crossing the stage for their Dip-Loma must cross using a Silly Walk.
- No men's and women's restrooms. Graffiti and Non-Graffiti.
- Office hours anywhere but offices. Coffee shops, Lawns, Trees, Restaurants.
- More ideas are welcome. Serious or not.
Hobble Along Casually
2425 University Hts. #15
Boulder, CO 80302
Copyright 2002. Kurt J. Simmons and other wise souls.